This week’s topic is another look back at 2022, this time to think about the best new-to-you authors you discovered last year. I didn’t fall in love with that many new authors, and I’ve only read one book by most of the folks on my list, but all 10 are authors I’d like to read more by. So, without further ado (and in no particular order), here they are:
1. Virginia Heath — Never Fall for Your Fiancée caught my eye because of the catchy title and fake relationship trope (one of my favorites!), and I enjoyed it enough to continue with the Merriwell Sisters series. I may wade into her backlist when I’m looking for something light and insubstantial.
2. Claudia Gray — The Murder of Mr. Wickham is one of the few Austen spinoffs I’ve really enjoyed, and I’m excited to read the sequel when it comes out this year!
3. Kerry Winfrey — I was so delighted by the author’s voice (and love of rom-coms) in Waiting for Tom Hanks that I read two more Winfrey books in 2022!
5. Susanna Craig — I’m a sucker for historical romance that involves espionage, so when the first few books in her Love and Let Spy series went on sale as e-books, I snapped them up! So far I’ve read and enjoyed the first two, and I’m looking forward to book #3, Better Off Wed.
6. Sophie Irwin — More historical romance! I really liked A Lady’s Guide to Fortune Hunting and am eager to read her next book, which is coming out this summer.
7. Sarah Mayberry — I was very pleasantly surprised by Her Favorite Rival (too steamy for my taste, but well written with great characters), so I’m interested in checking out some of her other contemporary romances.
8. Megan Bannen — The Undertaking of Hart and Mercy was one of my favorite books of 2022, and I’m so interested to see what she’ll do next! I loved the mix of fantasy, romance, and quirky charm.
9. John Dickson Carr — Interestingly, this is the only male author on my list! Castle Skull was maybe not the ideal book for me (a little more horror/gothic than traditional mystery), but I am definitely eager to read more of Carr’s books! He’s supposed to be the master of the locked room/impossible crime, which intrigues me.
10. Lynn Painter — I quite liked Better Than the Movies and already have both The Do-Over and The Love Wager on my TBR list!