This week’s topic is another look back at 2022, this time to think about the best new-to-you authors you discovered last year. I didn’t fall in love with that many new authors, and I’ve only read one book by most of the folks on my list, but all 10 are authors I’d like to read more by. So, without further ado (and in no particular order), here they are:
1. Virginia Heath — Never Fall for Your Fiancée caught my eye because of the catchy title and fake relationship trope (one of my favorites!), and I enjoyed it enough to continue with the Merriwell Sisters series. I may wade into her backlist when I’m looking for something light and insubstantial.
2. Claudia Gray — The Murder of Mr. Wickham is one of the few Austen spinoffs I’ve really enjoyed, and I’m excited to read the sequel when it comes out this year!
3. Kerry Winfrey — I was so delighted by the author’s voice (and love of rom-coms) in Waiting for Tom Hanks that I read two more Winfrey books in 2022!
4. T. Kingfisher — An author I’ve been hearing great things about for years, and I’m so glad I finally gave her a try! Both Nettle and Bone and Bryony and Roses are magnificent.
5. Susanna Craig — I’m a sucker for historical romance that involves espionage, so when the first few books in her Love and Let Spy series went on sale as e-books, I snapped them up! So far I’ve read and enjoyed the first two, and I’m looking forward to book #3, Better Off Wed.
6. Sophie Irwin — More historical romance! I really liked A Lady’s Guide to Fortune Hunting and am eager to read her next book, which is coming out this summer.
7. Sarah Mayberry — I was very pleasantly surprised by Her Favorite Rival (too steamy for my taste, but well written with great characters), so I’m interested in checking out some of her other contemporary romances.
8. Megan Bannen — The Undertaking of Hart and Mercy was one of my favorite books of 2022, and I’m so interested to see what she’ll do next! I loved the mix of fantasy, romance, and quirky charm.
9. John Dickson Carr — Interestingly, this is the only male author on my list! Castle Skull was maybe not the ideal book for me (a little more horror/gothic than traditional mystery), but I am definitely eager to read more of Carr’s books! He’s supposed to be the master of the locked room/impossible crime, which intrigues me.
10. Lynn Painter — I quite liked Better Than the Movies and already have both The Do-Over and The Love Wager on my TBR list!
13 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday: New-to-Me Authors in 2022”
I haven’t read any of those yet, oops
Haha, I don’t think it’s necessarily a problem! T. Kingfisher is the one I’d recommend most, if I had to choose.
Thank, will check it out
The Murder of Mr. Wickham has popped up on a few different lists this week!
My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-new-to-me-authors-i-discovered-in-2022/
I thought it was really well done!
#s 8 and 10 both made my list today, too. I love them!
There are lots of authors I’m not familiar with on this list, so I’ll have to check them out. I love T. Kingfisher, I can also recommend her Clockwork Boys and Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking.
Thanks for the recs! I definitely need to explore more of her backlist.
I’m glad you had such a good reading year. 🙂
Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.
I have a Lynn Painter ARC and I’m excited to get to it. Maybe she’ll be on my list next year.
Ooh, is it The Love Wager? I have that one on hold from my library — can’t wait to read it when it comes out in March! I look forward to seeing what you think!
I’m glad you found some new authors to pique your interest. I hope you enjoy the books you read by them!
I’ve not read books by any of these authors before, but I’m glad to see you enjoyed the ones you’ve read!
My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2023/01/24/top-ten-tuesday-404/