I was surprised to discover that this week marks the five-year anniversary of the Top Ten Tuesday meme! In honor of the occasion, this week’s topic is your 10 favorite Top Ten Tuesday topics so far. It was hard for me to pick just 10, and I have to give honorable mention to the seasonal TBRs, the best-of-the-year lists, and the most anticipated new releases of a given year or season. But here are 10 topics that I really enjoyed thinking about and compiling lists for, in no particular order:
1. Top Ten Favorite Authors in [Historical Fiction] Genre — There’s nothing I love more than discovering a new author, so I was happy for the opportunity to recommend some of my favorite authors in a beloved genre, in hopes of giving that thrill of discovery to someone else!
2. Top Ten Books to Get You in the Halloween Spirit — Although I’m too much of a chicken to read horror books, for some reason I still try to read seasonally appropriate things around Halloween. I love the annual Halloween TTT because it yields such a huge variety of recommendations! There’s almost always some great suggestions that even a scaredy-cat like me will enjoy!
3. Top Ten Words/Topics that Will Make Me Pick up a Book — This was one of my very favorite lists to compile, because it really made me think about what makes me tick as a reader. From spies to epistolary novels to slow-burning romance, I now know what to look for as I scan the bookstore (or my own shelves) for my next great read!
4. Top Ten Best/Worst Book-to-Movie Adaptations — I had tons of fun making this list, mostly because I felt compelled to share movie trailers for each of the films I selected. I picked five “best” and five “worst” adaptations, and I had a lot of fun reliving some of my favorite cinematic memories — not to mention ranting about some of my least favorite ones! 🙂
5. Top Ten Book Turnoffs You Encounter While Reading — As a corollary to #3, this list was helpful in thinking about what I should avoid in selecting books! It also helps to know what things trigger a knee-jerk reaction in me, so that I can include a caveat in any negative reviews; what bothers me may not bother another reader.
7. Top Ten Things You Like/Dislike about Romances in Books — As is well documented by now, I’m a sucker for a good love story, so it only makes sense that I would love this topic too!
8. Top Ten Favorite Book Quotes — Although I don’t keep a log of my favorite book quotes or anything like that, I do tend to remember sentences or passages that jump out at me. I think the list I made three years ago is still pretty accurate!
9. Top Ten Books that Came Recommended — This topic is great because so many of the books I’ve read and loved have been recommended by bookish friends and fellow bloggers! I’m so grateful to the online bookish community for giving me countless hours of joy in the form of great book recs!
10. Top Ten Favorite Love Stories — See #7. 🙂
Thanks to The Broke and the Bookish for such a fun, popular, and thought-provoking meme! If you’re a fellow participant, what were some of your favorite topics?